Whew. Isn’t this something all of us could use? Apparently, the United Nations (UN) thought so and nearly two decades ago. On September 7, 2001 they declared that an International Day of Peace should be observed annually on September 21st. The Assembly hoped that all nations, organizations and people would honor this special day through 24 hours of non-violence and cessation of hostilities.
Only days after that initial resolution, America suffered the worst terrorist attack on her soil. Will the domestic terrorists and anarchists in America honor this resolution? Will the media and politicians cease being divisive and hostile? Rather than wait and see tomorrow, let it begin with me.
Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
As Emerson states, peace is something each of us already have. Why not share it? It’s as free and easy as offering a
Is there a brighter light from the lift of illuminated hearts when a smile is returned?
You never know where wisdom grows. Seems Frank Sinatra was already on board with Shaping Peace Together — the theme for the 2020 International Day of Peace, when he said:
“If you don’t know the guy on the other side of the world, love him anyway because he’s just like you. He has the same dreams, the same hopes and fears. It’s one world, pal. We’re all neighbors.”
Here’s a meditation to take you there in only minutes. Get quiet. Envision sending feelings of love and kindness to those expressing hostility — be it a mate, an organization, a government official, political party, terrorist… See how you feel during and afterward. Is there a release? Do you feel a sense of calm? Overall well-being? Serenity? Repeat sending thoughts of peace to as many as necessary.
Can you imagine the immense healing from 24 hours of peace united worldwide? Can you feel the quiet — not the isolating silence of Covid, but the planet enveloped in a calm embrace? Strive to carry it forward and engage peacefully as these words of wisdom advise:
24 Thoughts for 24 Hours of Peace…
1.“No person, no place, and no thing has any power over us, for ‘we’ are the only thinkers in our mind. When we create peace and harmony and balance in our minds, we will find it in our lives.” ~ Louise L. Hay
2. “If you cannot find peace within yourself, you will never find it anywhere else.”~ Marvin Gaye
3. “Peace is a daily, a weekly, a monthly process, gradually changing opinions, slowly eroding old barriers, quietly building new structures.” ~ John F. Kennedy
4. “Learning to distance yourself from all the negativity is one of the greatest lessons to achieve inner peace.”~ Roy T. Bennett
5. “Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace.” ~ Dalai Lama
6. “Enjoy the peace of Nature and declutter your inner world.” ~ Amit Ray
7. “A balanced inner calmness radiates from a peaceful centre. It neither craves others’ approval nor rejects others’ presence. It neither pulls towards nor pushes away. It has a reverent attitude towards life and all its inhabitants.” ~Donna Goddard
8. “You’ll never find peace of mind until you listen to your heart.”~ George Michael
9. “Peace can become a lens through which you see the world. Be it. Live it. Radiate it out. Peace is an inside job.”~ Wayne Dyer
10. “…peace, you should always carry peace within you, its the most beautifying thing you could ever have or do. Peace makes your heart beautiful and it makes you look beautiful, too. You want to have perfect physical posture when you stand, sit, and walk, and peace is the perfect posture of the soul, really. Try perfect posture outside as well as inside. Peace creates grace and grace gives peace.” ~ C. Joy Bell
11. Every breath we take, every step we make, can be filled with peace, joy and serenity.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh
12. “You should feel beautiful and you should feel safe. What you surround yourself with should bring you peace of mind and peace of spirit.”~ Stacy London
13. “It isn’t enough to talk about peace. One must believe in it. And it isn’t enough to believe in it. One must work at it.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
14. “Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.” ~Albert Einstein
15. “If there’s no inner peace, people can’t give it to you. The husband can’t give it to you. Your children can’t give it to you. You have to give it to you.” ~ Linda Evans
16. “When you make peace with yourself, you make peace with the world.”~ Maha Ghosananda
17. “As long as man continues to be the ruthless destroyer of lower living beings, he will never know health or peace. For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love.” ~ Pythagoras
18. “Peace is a day-to-day problem, the product of a multitude of events and judgments. Peace is not an ‘is,’ it is a ‘becoming.’ ” ~ Haile Selassie
19. “Peace of mind comes from not wanting to change others.” ~ Gerald G. Jampolsky
20. “The life of inner peace, being harmonious and without stress, is the easiest type of existence.” ~ Norman Vincent Peale
21. “I don’t know whether it is beautiful or sad, that I find such blissful happiness within the confines of my own mind, more so than I do in the reality that surrounds me.” ~ Kendal Rob
22. “When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.”~ Jimi Hendrix
23. “Not one of us can rest, be happy, be at home, be at peace with ourselves, until we end hatred and division.” ~ John Lewis
24. “Unless and until we have peace deep within us, we can never hope to have peace in the outer world. You and I create the world by the vibrations that we offer to it. If we can invoke peace and then offer it to somebody else, we will see how peace expands from one to two persons, and gradually to the world at large. Peace will come about in the world from the perfection of individuals. If you have peace, I have peace, he has peace, and she has peace, then automatically universal peace will dawn.” ~ Sri Chinmoy
Image credits in order of appearance:
Feature Photo by Zaur Ibrahimov on Unsplash
#2: by Wonderlane on Unsplash
#3: by Anunay Mahajan on Unsplash
#4: by Mike Newbry on Unsplash